It’s been nearly 3 months since my last post–but there are reasons. Any reader of this blog will note the rather seasonal and sporadic nature of my posts.
A brief analysis with a look at the calendar might lead one to suspect that I was a teacher of some kind–as I tend to disappear late in what would be American Semesters.
Such is the case.
However–such time is well spent–as every semester I learn much. My day job is spent teaching engineers how to write, present, and generally how to think. This entails forcing them to do an extended technical research project on a subject of their choosing (with guidance and selective vetoing by me..).
The results of this past semester were, with but a few exceptions, rather solid. I will list the topics below from my 65 students. Looking through them, you’ll see that they range over a wide variety of topics–which makes evaluating them both a tad stressful, but also rewarding.
It also lets my true self (pictured to the right) assimilate a new semester’s worth of technological development as researched and reported by my new crop of minions—er.. students. It is, actually, fascinating to see what they come up with and to watch the steady progression of certain kinds of technologies–to see what used to be considered “totally not ready” become utterly commonplace, while other technologies that seemed like they were gonna become the next big thing–fade away.
Without any further ado, this is where I’ve been for the past 3 months:
1. Analysis of Light Scattering Techniques in Thin-Film Solar Cells: A Comparisonn of Spherical Metallic Nanoparticles and Textured Substrates
2. Analysis of Biomaterials Used in Tissue Engineered Skin
3. A Comparison between ODM and AE Analysis for Wind Turbine Gearbox Early Defect Detection
4. An Analysis of Multimodal Sensor-Networked In-Home Healthcare Systems
5. Electro-chromic Windows: Solving the Flaws of Slow Response Time to Changing Outdoor and Indoor Conditions and Poor Visual Clarity
6. Graphene as a Potential Alternative to Reverse Osmosis Membrane Filtration
7. An Analysis of Graphene Electrode for Fully Flexible and Transparent Piezoelectric Zinc Oxide Nanogenerators.
8. Passive vs. Active Safety Systems in Nuclear Power Plants
9. Organic Light Emitting Diodes Manufacturing Techniques for Mass Production: A comparison of Vacuum Thermal Evaporation, Organic Vapor Phase Deposition, and Inkjet Printing
10. A Comparison of the Effectiveness of Two Triage Methods to Decrease the Wait Time in Hospital Emergency Departments.
11. A Recommendation for Implementing a Human Factors Application in the Automotive Industry: An Analysis of Employee Cost Benefits and the Comparison between Lifts and Pulleys..
12. An Evaluation of Differing Void Shapes Used in Biaxial Hollow Concrete Slabs
13. Corrosion Mitigation in Molten Salt Nuclear Reactors–Recommendations for the Focus of Continuing Research
14. An Analysis of the Cognitive Human-Robot Interaction of the Exoskeleton Robot in Rehabilitation
15. A Recommendation for Rigid Fixation of Soft Tissue Grafts in ACL Reconstruction: A Comparative Analysis..
16. An Analysis of Recycling Polymers Through Dissolution and Mechanical Recycling
17. An Analysis on Effective, Non-invasive Diagnostic Methods for Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome (CECS)
18. Attenuation of Cancer Metastasis: Using CAM Inhibitors to Artificially Alter Cellular Adhesion
19. Use of Pedicle Screws in posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion: Adjusting Screw Characteristics to Increase Spinal Fusion Rate and Decrease Fixation-Related Complications
20.A Recommendation for Polychlorinated Biphenyl (PCB) Remediation: An Analysis between using Landfills and Bioremediation to Remove PCBs from the Environment.
21. A Recommendation for the Mitigation of Inset Residue: An Analytical Comparison between Chemical Coatings, Krueger Flaps, and TKS Systems
22. Mitigating Memory Bottlenecks in Mobile System Architectures
23. Quick Detection Methods for Carbapenem Resistant Enterobacteriaceae: A Comparison of Real-Time PCR, MALDI-TOF MS, and Carba NP
24. A Recommendation of a Technique to Minimize Blood Loss during Arthroplasty Surgeries
25. An Analysis of Current Aviation Training Policy and Licensure Requirements on Pilot’s Weather-RElated Decision Making Skills
26. Variable Speed Limits to Reduce Freeway Congestion: An Analysis of Three Case Studies to Propose the Optimal VSL Implementation Strategies for U.S. Freeways
27. The Financial Barriers of Implementing Electronic Health Records in Primary Care Practices in the United States
28. A Recommendation of Taillight Following Techniques used in Low Light Conditions by Autonomous Cars
29. A Recommendation for Long Bone Femur Analogous Materials for the Validation of Human and Animal Bone Tissue Mechanical Testing: An Analytical Comparison between the use of Polyurethane Foams and Fiber-reinforced Epoxies.
30. Alternatives for Toxic and Scarce Materials in Traditional Solar Cells: A Comparison between Copper Zinc Tin Sulphide, Quaternary I-III-IV2-V4 Phosphide, and Dye-sensitized Solar Cells
31. Conditions for Maximizing Pollutant Removal in Bioswales During the Conveyance of Stormwater Runoff in Small Urban Watersheds
32. Improving Capacity Constraints using Variable message Signs: A Comparison between Variable Speed Limits and Dynamic Route Guidance
33. An Analysis of Sulfur Removal Techniques for Coal-Fired Power Plant
34. Mitigating Side-Channel Attacks in Asymmetric Encryption Systems
35. Hydraulic Fracturing Wastewater Treatment Procedures for Total Dissolved Solids
36. Feasibility of Using Crumb Rubber in Extensive Green Roof Substrate Layers
37. Energy Consumption Reduction Methods of Sea Water Reverse Osmosis Desalination
38. Analysis of Low Cost Model-Based Eye Gaze Systems as an Effective form of Alternative Communication for Physically Disabled People
39. Battery Safety Improvements for Electric Vehicles: Analysis of Lithium-ion Battery Safety Challenges in electric Vehicle Collisions
40. A Recommendation for Anaerobic Digestion of Thin Stillage for Ethanol Production
41. Modifying Turbine Spacing and Array Geometry in the Optimization of Tidal Power Plants
42. Resolving the Uncertainty of Receiving Annual Mammograms: A Comparison between the United Kingdom Ae Trial and the National Canadian Breast Screening Study.
43. Suitability and Characteristic Evaluation of Major Type High-speed Internal permanent Magnet Synchronous Machines for Electric Vehicle Applications
44. Water-Free Dust Cleaning Techniques for Desert Photovoltaic Solar Power Arrays
45. Recommendation for Ergonomic Haptic Gloves for Virtual Environment Manipulation
46. A Recommendation for Illumination Invariance for Facial Recognition in Surveillance Cameras: An Analytical Comparison between Preprocessing, Infrared Re-illumination, and Illumination Invariant Feature Extraction
47. Cost Barriers to Implementation of Electronic health Records for Primary Care Physicians and Recommendations to Address Them
48. An Analysis of the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) of Linux Platform on the Server Side
49. A Recommendation for Roundabout Modification due to Bicycle Safety: A Comparison between Integrated and Separated Bicycle Placement
50. Research into the Current Limitations of Metal Hydride Storage Systems in Light-duty Vehicle Applications
51. Research on Light Duty Diesel Engines and Nitrous Oxide Exhaust after-treatment Methods in the Passenger Vehicle Market
52. An Analysis of Techniques to Reduce Retained Foreign Objects After Surgery
53. An Analysis of Power Minimization for Location-based Services in Mobile Phones
54. Analysis of Free Air Cooling to Reduce Data Center Energy Consumption
55. Viability of Carbon Fiber in the Automotive Industry to Increase Fuel Efficiency: A Comparison Between Renewable and Recyclable Precursors
56. Research on the prevention of fire in NYC tunnels through their ventilation systems
57. Lowering Operating Temperatures in Solid Oxide Fuel Cells for Possible Implementation in micro Combined Heating Processess
58. A Recommendation for an Alternative Thermal Barrier Coating for Advanced Gas Turbine Applications
59. RFID Technology in Healthcare: Security Risks and Solutions
60. A Recommendation for Active Noise Reduction Headsets for Flight Applications in the Military: An Analytical Comparison of Feedforward and Feedback Control Systems for Improved Communication and Noise Reduction]
61. Advanced Methods of Regeneration of Spent Pickling Solutions from Steel Processing: A Comparison between Membrane Distillation and Diffusion Dialysis
62. Neutron Irradiation Reduction through Comparison of Shielding Materials for the Traveling Wave Reactor
63. Comparison of Compressed Air And Pumped Hydro Energy Storage Methods for Grid Stabilization of Photovoltaic Intermittency
64. A Recommendation for an Implantable Treatment Option for Sensorineural Hearing Loss: A Comparison between Cochlear Implants, Esteem brand Middle Ear Implants, and Bone-Conducted Ultrasound Hearing Aids
65. Comparison of the Tokamak and Stellarator as First Generation Fusion Power Devices
Hopefully more posts will follow this one shortly.. but I wanted to get the ball rolling again..